--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 By the way I
> thing Tom Seaver a pretty knowledgable baseball guy
> who had some knowledge of Koufax growing up in
> California has said he thinks Koufax was the best
> pitcher ever.

Well Koufax, Bob, a pretty knowledgeable baseball guy,
said that Pedro was better than he was.  That's worth
something too, don't you think?

Bob, I have some idea of what a phenomenally
accomplished doctor you are.  I'm just asking that you
to apply the same sort of rigorous thinking to
something that is much easier to analyze - if you put
your emotions aside.

Let's say I was a pharma rep for GSK trying to sell
you on Zocor.  If I came to you and told you how great
Zocor was, I'm guessing that you would demand the
clinical data.  If I hemmed and hawed for a while, and
then finally admitted that, well, the clinical data
says that Lipitor is stronger, what would you say?  If
I told you about how these great doctors (from before
Penicillin was invented, or the role of cholesterol in
heart disease was discovered) all thought Zocor was
stronger, that might impress you a little bit, I
guess.  And I could tell you stories about that time
Lipitor didn't do anything for my friend's cholesterol
problem, but Zocor cleared it right up.  But if the
M&M data said that Lipitor has better life-extending
results (which I think it does) and the clinical data
said that it was stronger at lowering LDL and raising
HDL (which I'm pretty sure it is) then would you
prescribe Zocor to your patients just because I told
you it was wonderful?  I hope not.

You said that Pedro and Koufax both had the best ERA
possible.  But that's not really true, is it?  Gibson
had a better ERA than Koufax at least once - much
better.  So it was _possible_ to put up better numbers
than Koufax did during his era - and Gibson wasn't in
Dodger Stadium.  There's one yardstick for you right
there.  No pitcher has put up numbers that even
vaguely resemble Pedro's at his peak during the last
few years.  But there were pitchers who put up numbers
that were comparable to (or better than) those of
Koufax.  Gibson, IIRC, won 26 games in 1968.  Now, W-L
for pitchers aren't particularly informative, but,
well, how often did Koufax do that?

Now, here is the player page for Koufax at the
Baseball Prospectus Web Site:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/cards/koufasa01.shtml

And here is the player page for Pedro:
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/cards/martipe02.shtml

You tell me what those numbers suggest.  I'd point out
that "Stuff", which is a rough statistic that BP uses
for dominance, has Pedro as considerably better than
Koufax in his best seasons.

If we use your metrics - that is, just against the
other players of his time, ignoring park effects,
difficulty, everything - then why isn't Gibson the
best ever?  His 1968 season was better than anything
Koufax ever did, phenomenal though Koufax was.  If
Koufax had five seasons so much better than everyone
else that they automatically qualify him as the most
dominant pitcher ever - why didn't he win five Cy
Youngs?  Randy Johnson has five.  Clemens has six.
Maddux won _four in a row_.  Pedro won three in a row,
and probably deserved more.

You mentioned postseason performance.  The first
question, of course, is how many Division Series did
Koufax have to pitch his team through?  How many
League Championship Series?  So yes, he did very well
in the World Series.  But in terms of pure postseason
performance, did he do anything as impressive as Randy
Johnson last year?  Mike Mussina in 1997?  Lots of
people claimed that Barry Bonds couldn't "hit in the
clutch" because of his poor postseason performance.
Do you still think so after last year?  Willy Mays, I
would point out, _sucked_ in the postseason.  Does
anyone blame him for it?  No, of course not.  Players
who people like are clutch players, and players who
people don't like aren't, and that's as far as it
goes.

The same thing with injuries.  It's true that Maddux
has much better medical care available to him than
Koufax did - not that he's ever needed it, but
certainly it's true.  But Koufax had better medical
care than Walter Johnson.  Which one was more durable?
 Koufax was legendarily fragile during his own era.
If you're right, and we only count players against
their contemporaries, what does that tell us?
Furthermore, Koufax had what Maddux and Pedro don't -
a high pitching mound, and the chance to take it easy
against at least half the batters in the other teams
lineup.  Don't you think that decreased his chance of
injury?

If statistics only told us what we "know" to be true,
then they would be useless anyways.  It's only when
they tell us something that is contrary to our
perceptions that they are useful.  In this case, the
statistics are saying something that you don't like,
Bob, but that doesn't mean they're wrong.  Now, if
they declared that Andy Pettite was the greatest
pitcher ever, then clearly we'd have to cook up some
new statistics.  That would be absurd.  But it's
certainly reasonable to say that Pedro's 1999 season
was the most dominant ever.  It's also reasonable to
say that Gibson's 1968 season was.  Or one of Koufax's
great ones.  It just so happens that Koufax's don't
seem to quite make the grade against Pedro's best, and
Koufax's career clearly doesn't quite make it against,
say, Seaver or Clemens.  That doesn't make him
anything less than a phenomenal pitcher - one of the
best of all time.  Just not _the_ best.

=====
Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]