--- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Deborah Harrell wrote:
>
> > Let me give an example of 'phenomena that had been
> investigated for
> > centuries' to no avail, until after the proper
> equipment was invented
> > and the phenomenon was explained scientifically:
> blood circulation.
>
> Bad example. While the exact mechanism was not
> known, lots of things
> about blood and the circulatory system were known
> and examined. You need
> to find an example where, despite a great deal of
> study, NOTHING AT ALL
> WAS KNOWN OR MEASURED ABOUT THE PHENOMENON.

<grin>  Then we have rather different ideas of 'what
is known'...

Hmm, what about astronomy?  Centuries of looking at
the skies, yet quasars/pulsars weren't discovered
until the 60's (again, because of the development of
the detecting technology).  Understanding what
novae/supernovae were also required the proper
equipment (and theories and reasoning of course),
despite their documentation throughout recorded
history.

http://www.phy.cam.ac.uk/camphy/pulsars/pulsars1_1.htm

Debbi
who still remembers the little jingle that went with
"Qua-sar..." -- I think it was a television brand?