I don't know what you are after, but I think I've been overly kind to the
administration in saying that this statement should have been more carefully
verified.  After all, it is now clear that the White House revisited this
"fact" after it had already been discredited by the CIA, and persuaded the
NSC to come up with the new wording.  Why didn't Bush say "but the CIA
disagrees," when it is obvious that the White House knew that?  That's an
inexcusable withholding of information, unless we are to put greater stock
in British intelligence than our own, in which case something is wrong
indeed.

So we have the most important political leader in the world, in his most
important speech, arguing for the most important decision a nation can
make -- and he leaves out the fact that our own intelligence assessment
disagrees with what he is saying?  That's outrageous.

The administration's explanation that the CIA failed to catch the bogus
information in review is ludicrous unless they'd have us believe that the
White House came up with the intelligence on its own, completely
independently of our own intelligence apparatus, and the reviews, done by
people who are the world's leading experts on the issues, somehow didn't
notice it.  Phooey.  Not only would that be dumb, it would require them to
deliberately bypass or manipulate a rigorous system designed to prevent
exactly that.

I guess I'll say a bit more about why I know about the process.

I used to be the product manager for the language analysis software that the
NSC uses to decide which intelligence documents they need to read.  Most of
our customers used it to find documents that were relevant to their
interests, but the NSC does just the opposite -- they use it to make sure
they don't miss anything.  As they review documents, they add key words
about the subject of the document to their filter.  Thus, the software
filters out documents that tell them about things they already know about,
so that they can read everything else -- this is a system for ensuring that
they don't miss anything that relates to their focus area.  Exactly who and
how many people brief the president is classified, so I can't say that these
are the very people who deliver intelligence to Bush.  I can say that they
are totally key to the process.  (All I'm jeopardizing here, if anything, is
my White House press clearance, which I haven't used in a long darn time.)

There is someone on the NSC who is responsible for Iraq.  There's someone
who is responsible for Niger.  There is someone who tracks nuclear issues.
There is no way these people -- whose job it is to vette intelligence for
the President -- could simply goof up like that, given their rigorous system
for ensuring that they don't miss any subjects that appear in our
intelligence.  Are we to believe that Ambassador Joe Wilson's report from
his trip to Niger did not make its way into the system, even though he says
his reports went to the State Department and the CIA, but an unconfirmed
British intelligence report did?  It is strange, to say the least, that the
DCI is taking the fall for this supposed mistake, since the NSC staff works
for Condoleezza Rice.  And now we have reports that the NSC's weapons guy,
Bob Joseph, did know about it and said it was not credible.  So did the
State Department, in direct response to an administration claim that the
Iraqis had a nuclear program.

I've realized that there's a strong emotional component to this for me,
which I suspect is shared by many others who grew up in the 60s.  I had
nightmares about nuclear war, lots of them, as a child.  I can remember the
Cuban missile crisis, vaguely, and certainly remember all of the fear in our
country, the people building bomb shelters, etc.  We practiced "civil
defense drills" at school and our basement was a fallout shelter.  As a
result, Bush's mention of the possibility of Iraq with nuclear weapons
touched a nerve.  The idea of those nightmares arising again was one of the
things that brought me to reluctantly support the war, and by no means a
minor reason.  Raising the specter of nuclear terrorism certainly was
effective, which makes the omission of the rest of the story all that more
egregious.

When manipulation of intelligence can make its way into the State of the
Union, it is very hard to imagine that it isn't being manipulated in many
other areas, too.  As I read the coverage of this issue, I see more and more
evidence that that's exactly what's been going on.

Nick