On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 09:26 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

In a message dated 7/27/2003 6:43:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

And its unclear that "arrest" is even the proper word to describe what the
Chairman tried to do - since I don't think that even if the Chairman's
request had been carried out that the Democratic Representatives would have
been detained, placed in jail, or had charges filed against them.

At any rate, caning another Congreesman, literally nearly
to death, on the
floor of Congress is far worse.
Can we get real here. Once again this is not the 19th century. We are talking about a congressman of one party trying to have congressmen of the other party arrested. This is outragous behavior. It is not some little prank

Y'know, the Dems should have let themselves be arrested. Its not as if they were going to spend even an hour in a DC holding cell, and the adverse publicity for the Republicans would have been beneficial to the Democrats.

john