--- Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> > However, the emergant property is very troubeling. I do not wish to be 70
> and
> > working long hours every day. What kind of life is it where you get out
> of
> > bed go to work, leave work, come home and go directly to bed? Many do
> that
> > now, and are proud of it. They are nothing but drones doing the bidding
> of
> > those who spend most of their day on the gulf course. I look at it and
> one
> > word comes to mind. That word is "slavery".
>
> Depends on the individual and the work.  I can cite one case that's
> probably *extremely* out of the ordinary where a 70-year-old, laid off
> and eligible for a pension, took the pension and spent the next 10
> months trying to find *another* job in his field, and didn't admit he
> was probably never going to have such a job again until near the end of
> those 10 months.  (And it's not as if he couldn't have afforded to
> retire 10 years earlier.)
>
>       Julia

You misunderstand me. That's not what I am talking about. I would love to be
working and productive at 70. However, I don't want to be unemployed becouse
I cost more than some shlup in Indea who will work 80 hours a week for 1/4
the cost. And what is more, I don't want to work 80 hours a week. I would,
after all, like to be alive so that I can be working and productive at 70.

How about you?

=====