Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> --- Jan Coffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > It is, however, important to know that %20 of the
> > world population is far
> > enough to my side of the axis to be labled dyslexic.
> > The inability to spell
> > properly in an illogical system such as English
> > should never be used for
> > ridicule, especialy not to adress ones inteligence.
> >
> >                Jan William Coffey
>
> This'll probably make Jan feel worse, but a
> neurologist friend of mine says that I'm a textbook
> case of someone who is mildly dyslexic - that's not a
> formal diagnosis, but I guess a neurologist is
> qualified to give an expert opinion.  So there's
> probably more than one on the list.

Dan is dyslexic.  When he's writing by hand, he'll write the letters in
a word in the wrong order sometimes -- but he figured out how to
compensate by moving the position of the writing instrument back and
forth so the word comes *out* spelled correctly.

He was never diagnosed.  Managed to compensate to the point where they
wouldn't have diagnosed it.  Realized it later.  His father is also
somewhat dyslexic.  Never stopped him from being a good engineer.

Now, I think the thing to do when you encounter someone with atrocious
spelling is, try to figure everything out from context; if the context
leaves a word or two in an ambiguous state, ask the poster what they
meant.  Paraphrase the two (or more) possible meanings of the sentence,
and ask which one they meant.  And don't be mean about it.

And if your spelling is that bad, and clarification is asked for -- at
least you know that someone wants to understand your point better, and
will appreciate the clarification once you give it, so be as gracious as
you can.  (Being gracious is not a strong suit of some folks here; it's
one thing I know *I'm* working on improving.)

        Julia