At 05:09 PM 7/31/03 -0700, you wrote:

--- Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 04:29 PM 7/31/03 -0500, Julia Thompson wrote:
> >Gautam Mukunda wrote:

> >And if your spelling is that bad, and clarification is asked for -- at
> >least you know that someone wants to understand your point better, and
> >will appreciate the clarification once you give it, so be as gracious as
> >you can.  (Being gracious is not a strong suit of some folks here; it's
> >one thing I know *I'm* working on improving.)
>

> And, FWIW, whenever I ask Jan for clarification, it is because I really
> didn't understand — which may very well be more my fault than anyone else's
>
> — but really want to know.

As long as we are on the subject - French words give me the most difficulty.
to the point that I often try and abbreviate rather than phoneticize.

To answer your question:

Loo-tin-at Ker-nal.

I was referring to the guy who wrote the article for which this thread is named.

OK.

The military rank is spelled "Colonel" (even though it is pronounced the same way as a "kernel" of corn) and abbreviated "Col."

In the US Army, "Lieutenant Colonel" is usually abbreviated "LTC" (all caps), while in the US Air Force, the usual abbreviation found in official documents would be "Lt. Col."

Then there are the English, who pronounce "lieutenant" as if it were spelled "left-tennant" (though they spell it the same way as in the US) . . .

--Ronn! :)

I always knew that I would see the first man on the Moon.
I never dreamed that I would see the last.
        --Dr. Jerry Pournelle