--- Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> >
> > --- Jan Coffey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > It is, however, important to know that %20 of the
> > > world population is far
> > > enough to my side of the axis to be labled dyslexic.
> > > The inability to spell
> > > properly in an illogical system such as English
> > > should never be used for
> > > ridicule, especialy not to adress ones inteligence.
> > >
> > >                Jan William Coffey
> >
> > This'll probably make Jan feel worse, but a
> > neurologist friend of mine says that I'm a textbook
> > case of someone who is mildly dyslexic - that's not a
> > formal diagnosis, but I guess a neurologist is
> > qualified to give an expert opinion.  So there's
> > probably more than one on the list.
>
> Dan is dyslexic.  When he's writing by hand, he'll write the letters in
> a word in the wrong order sometimes -- but he figured out how to
> compensate by moving the position of the writing instrument back and
> forth so the word comes *out* spelled correctly.

Transposing letters is not what happens when someone is dyslexic. It is most
gernelay a case of the brain working faster than the hand can write. While
this is generaly a -feature- that dyslexics are more likely to have, the
reason that they spell incorectly or have dificulty reading has very very
little or nothing at all to do with word or letter order, or word or letter
orientation.

Most dyslexic children do not at first understand that letter orientation in
2 demensions is important. But this dificulty goes away as soon as the
2d-ness of letters is explained.

That view of dyslexia is, in part, what leads to much confusion. The real
dificulty has to do with phenomes and the representation of those phenomes.

I helped create the following example for a learning center. It is intended
to help non-dyslexics understand how a dyslexic views the system of symbolic
language we use.

It is for most a very frustraiting puzzle, and while I can not show it in
this format with the colours that were intended, and while the lack of colour
leaves the puzzle a bit open, I think you will get the idea.

These letters represent english sounds, and corospond to a colour which will
be used as the key.

j - orange  sh - red
i - blue    e - purple
l - green   r - yellow
i - brown   u - white
v - black   n - aqua
s - pink
t - baby blue
oo - bright green

the sentecne reads:

[orngeish red] [bluish purple] [yelowish green] [tan] [very dark blueish
green] [pink] [baby blue] [bright green almost white] [green] [purpleish
blue] [cream] [very dark greenish blue so dark it is almost black]

Translate the sentence into english.

=====