----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 7:08 PM
Subject: Re: Intent and language

> On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 05:21:49PM -0500, Dan Minette wrote:
>
> > I have gone over your posts to make sure my memory wasn't faulty, and
> > I do see a great number of "you ...some negative" statements.  Things
> > like "you think wrong", "you have let yourself fall in a trap", etc.
> > It appears that you are now arguing that you are really very concerned
> > for the flaws in all of our thinking and really really wish to help us
> > think clearer.
>
> Again, you misunderstand what I wrote in the thread under
> discussion. Are you again going to claim that it was not
> misunderstanding?

You mean did I miss the fact that you were playing the "look at me, I'm so
clever, I'm mocking someone with their own words" game? No, I just
considered that of secondary importance.  In my reply to Jan I was stating
my opinion that he should not take your insults seriously because you
insult a lot of very fine people.  I'm not really all that concerned with
the reasons you have for doing so.

>I did not argue any such generality in this thread. I was talking
specifically about the thread with Jan.

Well, I thought you were replying to my post.  Silly me.

> <irony>
> As for the rest of the comments that were written in the message I am
> replying to, I, like David Brin, find passive aggressiveness much more
> disagreeable than sarcasm or straightforwardness, which I (and others)
> often employ.

ORIFLAMME.  My wife has taught assertiveness training for over 20 years.
I've taken a number of management courses that discuss aggressive, passive
aggressive, and assertive.  I was giving the classic explanation for
assertive.

You posts are often a good example of aggressive.

>Some people portray themselves as email list social
> experts, but I haven't forgotten that such people were at the center of
> the list's biggest falling out where we lost not only David Brin for a
> long time, but a number of other long time list members as well. Now
> would be a good time to make a passive aggressive comment about how I am
> trying to "gig" people :-\
> </irony>

OK, since you like blunt, I'll be just a bit blunt. I never cease to be
amazed by the arrogance of ignorance.  You don't know what happened, and
your speculation is worse than useless.  The only point I can see is trying
to get people to act out of anger.

Further, before you use a term, like passive aggressive, it would be
helpful to learn its meaning.  If you wish, I'd be more than happy to
explain it to you.  If you don't want to know, that's your business.

Dan M.