On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:03:03AM -0400, Jon Gabriel wrote:

> I'm in complete agreement with this.

Me too. I first heard the idea of licensing guns similar to cars from a
post by David Brin here. Sounds like a good system to me.

> Since someone had mentioned this, I thought I'd post it.
> http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html
>
> Will give US accidental gun death statistics for years through 2000.
>
> For 2000
> Number of Deaths 776
> Population 275,264,999
> Crude Rate 0.28
> Age-Adjusted Rate** 0.28

Note that deaths are usually quoted as a number per 100,000 people,
which is the case above. For comparison, below I've listed some other
death rates (mostly from NSC's web page). Note that the rate for deaths
from falls is 20 times that quoted above for accidental gun death. I
don't have a number handy for "homicide by gun", but that would be an
interesting addition to this table.

deaths per hundred
thousand per year        cause
870                    U.S. death rate (total for all causes)
200                    coronary heart disease
 16                    motor vehicles
 12                    suicide
  8                    homicide
  6                    falls
  1.4                  fire
  0.4                  air or space transport
  0.3                  struck by falling object (NOT meteorite!)
  0.02                 lightning
  0.003                fireworks
  0.00001              struck by small meteorite

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm
http://www.stats.org/spotlight/2200.html

--
"Erik Reuter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>       http://www.erikreuter.net/