From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Politics, was [L3] Re: fight the evil of price discrimination
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:23:46 EDT

> How about if we change Jan's statement to something like:
>
> C) everyone [who wants to own a gun and who has not been convicted of a
> violent crime or diagnosed with a serious mental or emotional illness]
> should [be allowed to choose to] have a gun.
>
> Can we all agree with that?

No. I would want them to demonstrate that they know how to handle the gun and
have them pledge to keep it safely locked up except when being used for
hunting, target practice, etc. I would also require them to purchase insurance
against any misuse of the gun - by them or by anyone else. And I would increase
the penalties for misuse of guns, even accidental. You have to have insurance to
operate a car, and a license - surely we can and should require no less for
guns.

And I would still change the laws that make it possible for anyone to drive
to Virginia, buy as many guns as they want, and then go home. Or to sell them
at totally unregulated gun shows where they don't even check to see that the
purchaser is not a criminal or mentally ill.

I'm in complete agreement with this.

Since someone had mentioned this, I thought I'd post it.
http://webapp.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html

Will give US accidental gun death statistics for years through 2000.

For 2000
Number of Deaths 776
Population 275,264,999
Crude Rate 0.28