--- Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 01:20 AM 8/11/03 -0700, Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> >--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > But you made the claim that an armed society is a polite society.
> > > You haven't backed up that claim with _any_ statistics or studies.
> >

> >Sorry I never made that claim. I did not and do not believe that an armed
> >society would be any more or less "polite". Those are your words.
>

> Actually, they are Heinlein's words, and the full quote is:
>
> "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have
> to back up his acts with his life."
> -Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond the Horizon, 1942

I do in fact agree with Heinlein on many things. And while we have some
agreement on this issue, (we would be on the same side of the arguement
here). I do not exactly agree with this statement. While the implication may
have a true value, the right side is not necisarily caused by the left. While
I may believe that the first sentence is true I would never make that
statement becouse of the assumed association to the second sentence.

=====