----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Ludenia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "BRIN L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 9:04 AM
Subject: Re: Most Dangerous States

> Robert Seeberger wrote:
>
> > Even more worthless is comparisons to British murder rates.  Crime
> > (non-firearm) is much more violently perpetrated in Britain as compared
> > America. ( In one stupid argument, I saw an American arguing with a Brit
> > that our criminals were much more civilized LOL)
>
> On what basis do you make this claim Rob?

On the basis that every time I participate in one of these GC discussions, I
end up running into articles that discuss this. Its  mainly news articles
from Britain.

>For the life of me I can't think
> of any reason why Pommie criminals should be more violent than your
> home-grown ones.

I can't either. But as I said earlier in the thread, it is a completely
different dynamic.

I think also that the same could be said about Gun Control if comparing New
York and Texas.
It looks like it might be working in New York, but I don't think it would
work in Texas for a very very long time. The environments are far too
different to make a direct comparison that is meaningful. I think crowding
23.7K people per sq. mi. is quite a different situation than what you see in
Texas where we max out around 3K per sq. mi.

That's an example of why I say mostly the argument is silly. People quote
stats trying to compare things that are not at all alike.

xponent
The Vault Of Mindless Fellowship Maru
rob