--- Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.morganquitno.com/dang02.htm
>
> Nevada 7th most dangerous
> Texas 14th
> New York 24th

This study is based on reported crimes. It might be that Nevada residents are
simply more inclined to call the police, becouse they are more likely to get
a favorable response.

I would like to see a study based on muder alone. making (robbery, aggravated
assault, burglary and motor vehicle theft ) equaly blanced is problematic
IMO. I suggest that a Nevada or Texa resident is much more likely to report a
robbery than a New York resident where roberies are daily occurences and the
perpitrator is seldome found. -Murder is a crime which can not go
unreported.- Further more I suggest that the ranking should take into acount
the population in the ~area~ in which the murder took place. Comparing the
number of murders in Las Vegas to that of rural south dakota is hardly
equivelent. You can't just take the population of the state either, becouse
that does take into acount the differences bettween local densities in
comparison to the overall state population.

This suggestion I think would give a better judge of safty where safty is
defined as the likelyhood of not being the victm of a crime.

I also suggest that given that the same site lists Nevada and NewYork as 7 &
8 respectivly for previous years the statistical significance given their
method of rating is rather low.

=====