> From: Andrew Crystall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On 23 Oct 2003 at 21:55, The Fool wrote:
>
> > > From: Andrew Crystall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > been

> > > Uh? Um. Who said anything about hardware? I said drivers. They
> > > directly acccess the driver API.
> > >
> > > And no, the program is probably NOT legal in the US thanks to some
> > > of your recent laws. So if you're in the US, don't bother asking me
> > > for it. The creator won't give.
> >
> > And it's those very same API's you just mentioned that will stop your
> > driver from capturing video as part of a secure video pipeline (or
> > whater they're calling it now).  No direct hardware Access.
Encrypted
> > video channel.  Eventually they plan to have the hardware makers
> > encrypt the signal on the cable between the video card and the
> > monitor.  It'll work in the same way the 'secure audio channel'
works.

> So you'll deny programs access rights to the driver? I GOTTA see
> this. Games require that access to work.

A program will be able to restrict access for other programs to access
it's data.

> Get this through your skull. That is NOT direct hardware access.
> Everything is filtered through the driver API these days.
>
> Also, I'd like to see a realiable report (mainstream news, thanks) of
> that "encryption". Because there are a dozen technical objections I
> can immediately think of...and it wouldn't stop how the program I use
> works anyway.

>From dozens of articles that were on the front pages of: C|Net, Wired,
TheRegister.co.uk, Slashdot, bpdg.blogs.eff.org, among others, also white
papers about microsofts DRM OS patents, white papers about TCP/TCPA (the
trusted computing platform alliance), CPRM
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/17009.html>, SDMI, HDCP (If your
VCR is on the blacklist...no video for you.), and bunch of other
'standards' being pushed that I forgot the acronym for that BPDG
/MPAA/RIAA/Microsoft/CPTWG/Etc. are pushing.

Since you've been nasty, find it yourself.  Don't come crying to me when
your special driver stops working.