----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Harney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: Outlandish but exceedingly fun.

> From: "Travis Edmunds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> > >From: Ronn!Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> <snip>
> > >
> > >Forget the neutronium hull.  What I want is some of the stuff they
used
> > >brace the interior so the neutronium hull wouldn't collapse into a
solid
> > >sphere under its own weight and self-gravity.  Now _that_ has to be
> strong
> > >stuff . . .
> > >

> > >-- Ronn!  :)
> > >

> > I'm pretty sure that's a highly improbable scenario. Isn't gravity
based
> on
> > size and not weight? If so, then I should also point out that the
planet
> > killer isn't THAT big. So the neutronium may be dense enough to create
> few
> > engineering problems, but the gravitational pull would technically be
too
> > weak to cause problems, right?
>
> Nope, mass causes gravity, size doesn't.  Admitted, most very large
objects
> also have lots of mass, but a volume of highly dense matter would produce
> more gravity than an equal volume of low density matter.  Technically,
> though, since it was almost cylindrical (which would act like an arch)
and
> mostly hollow, I imagine that, if the neutronium is strong enough to be
> impervious to most weapons, it would probably be able to support it's own
> inward gravity as that gravity shouldn't be that massive.

Lets see, the densities we would be talking about are around 3*10^14 g/cc.
The mass of the sun is

2 x 10^33 g. So, the mass of the sun would be packed into a sphere of about
6*10^18 cc. or 6*10^12 m or 6*10^3 km.  This would require a sphere roughly
10 km in radius.

But, the radius is, roughly 70000* smaller than the sun's, so the force of
gravity would be close to 5 billion times as strong as that found on the
surface of the sun.

The weapon is a cone, not a sphere, but the force of gravity would be huge.
If desired, I could probably calculate the maximum force, given the
dimensions...and the free time to write the program. :-)

Dan M.