From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snip>

> > Nope, mass causes gravity, size doesn't.  Admitted, most very large
> objects
> > also have lots of mass, but a volume of highly dense matter would
produce
> > more gravity than an equal volume of low density matter.  Technically,
> > though, since it was almost cylindrical (which would act like an arch)
> and
> > mostly hollow, I imagine that, if the neutronium is strong enough to be
> > impervious to most weapons, it would probably be able to support it's
own
> > inward gravity as that gravity shouldn't be that massive.
>
> Lets see, the densities we would be talking about are around 3*10^14 g/cc.

300 Billion Kilograms per cubic centimeter?  We aren't talking about a black
hole are we?  Is density that high even possible?  I mean, there has to be a
finite limit of how many protons and neutrons that you can pack into such a
small space.  If 6.02*10^23 protons only wieghs1 kilogram (IIRC), and
neutrons weigh roughly the same as protons, that would require about
1.8*10^38 protons or nuetrons packed into a single cubic centimeter.
Assuming a spherical model for protons and neutrons and perfect packing of
protons and nuetrons (assuming no empty space at all, which would be
impossible with a spherical model):
1.8*10^38*(3/4)*pi*r^3=1cm^3
4.24*10^38*r^3=cm^3
r^3=2.36*10^-39cm^3
r=1.33*10-13 cm
That would mean the radius of a proton/neutron would have to be less than
1.33*10^-13 cm.  Is that right?

Michael Harney - No Room For Electrons Maru
[EMAIL PROTECTED]