<snipped most>

http://www.nature.com/cgi-taf/DynaPage.taf?file=/nature/journal/v375/n6532/abs/375581a0.html
> http://www.nature.com/nsu/010719/010719-3.html

Here is the International Programme on Chemical Safety
(IPCS) site on DDT: (it is a joint venture of the
United Nations Environment Programme, the
International Labour Organisation, and the World
Health Organization)
http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc83.htm#SectionNumber:1.8
"The  physicochemical properties of DDT and its
metabolites enable these compounds to be taken up
readily by organisms.  High lipid solubility and low
water solubility  lead to the retention  of DDT and
its stable metabolites in fatty tissue.  The rates of
accumulation into organisms vary with the species,
with the duration and concentration of exposure, and
with environmental conditions.  The high retention of
DDT metabolites means that toxic effects can occur in
organisms remote in time and geographical area from
the point of exposure.

 "These compounds are resistant to breakdown and are
readily adsorbed to sediments and soils that can act
both as sinks and as long-term sources of exposure
(e.g., for soil organisms).

 "Organisms can accumulate these chemicals from the
surrounding medium and from food.  In aquatic
organisms, uptake from the water is generally more
important, whereas, in terrestrial fauna, food
provides
the major source.

 "In general, organisms at higher trophic levels tend
to contain more DDT-type compounds than those at lower
trophic levels.  [Raptors are particularly susceptible
to DDT's thinning of their eggshells, while ducks and
chickens are not.  This is detailed in the article.]

 "Such compounds can be transported around the world
in the bodies of migrant animals and in ocean and air
currents...."

This is a very detailed article with summaries of many
studies on microbes, fish, amphibians, and birds -
also affected were bats.

Our national bird, the bald eagle, was threatened with
extinction in the lower 48 states by hunting, habitat
destruction, and poisoning: "The greatest threat to
the bald eagle's existence arose from the widespread
use of DDT and other pesticides after World War II."
(Lead poisoning from hunters birdshot was also a
significant problem; its use was phased out by 1991.)

http://www.usflag.org/bald.eagle.html "...With these and other recovery methods, as well as habitat improvement and the banning of DDT, the bald eagle has made a remarkable comeback. From fewer than 450 nesting pairs in the early 1960s, there are now more than 4,000 adult bald eagles nesting pairs and an unknown number of young and subadults in the conterminous United States. This represents a substantial breeding population..."

There are groups who deny the toxicity of DDT; here is
one site:
http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C06/C06Links/www.altgreen.com.au/Chemicals/ddt.html

But women exposed prenatally to higher levels of DDT
have decreased probability of pregnancy:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12842376&dopt=Abstract
"The decreased fecundability associated with prenatal
p,p'-DDT remains unexplained."  [OTOH, DDE exposure
seemed to increase pregnancy rates  -- these chemicals
do have estrogenic +/or antiestrogenic activity; there
is speculation that some herbicides, also found to
have hormonal activity, may contribute to development
of breast cancer.]

In trout, DDT and its relatives/metabolites also have
both estrogenic and anti- activity:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12167306&dopt=Abstract

And DDT is merely one of the chemical soup
contaminants found in the now-endangered Stellar sea
lion:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12826388&dopt=Abstract
"..SSL tissues show accumulation of butyltins,
mercury, PCBs, DDTs, chlordanes and hexachlorobenzene.
SSL habitats and prey are contaminated with additional
chemicals including mirex, endrin, dieldrin,
hexachlorocyclohexanes, tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin
(TCDD) and related compounds, cadmium and lead. In
addition, many SSL haulouts and rookeries are located
near other hazards including radioactivity, solvents,
ordnance and chemical weapon dumps..."

Shrimp larvae exposed to DDT have DNA damage:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12568452&dopt=Abstract

>In vitro< DDT exposure damages or induces apoptosis
(cell death) in neural clone cells:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12523960&dopt=Abstract

Yes, it would indeed be nice if someone could find an alternative which was nearly (90%+?) as effective as DDT at killing the insects which spread disease to humans while being much safer (<10% as toxic?) as DDT, and also be cheap enough that the people living in some of the areas where diseases like malaria and yellow fever are endemic can afford it.

FWIW, is it possible that much of the problem with chemicals such as DDT getting into the system where it is not wanted and causes problems is due to overuse, on the principle "if a little is good, a lot is better"?

-- Ronn! :)