Travis said:

> Do you mean (A) singualarity? If so, I saw one the other night on TNG.
> If not...then could you explain? I probably am familiar with what you
> speak of, but it's not exactly rolling of my tongue.

He doesn't mean a physical singularity like the thing in the middle of
black holes: he means a technological singularity, a time when
technological change becomes so rapid that we (unaugmented, baseline
people) aren't able to understand it any longer. The usual situation
that people consider a technological singularity is a runaway
self-improvement of artificial intelligences, although a runaway
process of intelligence amplification is possible too. The idea of the
Singularity in this sense was popularised by the computer scientist and
sf writer Vernor Vinge but it goes right back to Turing and von
Neumann, and possibly beyond.

I think there's a non-zero probability of such a thing happening in our
lifetime. In my more optimistic moments, I think it might even be
likely. I also think it would be a good thing were it to happen.

Rich