Travis Edmunds wrote:

> Do you mean (A) singualarity? If so, I saw one the other night
> on TNG. If not...then could you explain? I probably am familiar
> with what you speak of, but it's not exactly rolling of my
> tongue.

The Singularity Robert's talking about is metaphorically like a
black hole-type singularity, because you can't see in from outside.
The idea is that computing technology (and other technologies as
well) has been increasing in speed and power exponentially.
Assuming that exponential curve continues at the same rate,
computers should have the raw processing power of a human brain
in about 30 years or so, give or take a year or two. Moore's Law
suggests that 18 months later, they'll be equivalent to 2 brains,
then 18 months later, 4 brains, then 8 brains, 16 brains, etc. In
the course of a few years, that effect should change society so
much and so rapidly that people living before it happens can't
even comprehend it, much less predict its effects with any
reliability.

Vernor Vinge is the main author who promoted the idea in science
fiction, and serious stories since then have had to react to it.
They either have to explain why it didn't happen in the particular
far future society they're writing about, or find some way to
imagine and write about a society where it did happen.
Steve Sloan ......... Huntsville, Alabama =========> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brin-L list pages .............................. http://www.brin-l.org
Science Fiction-themed online store ..... http://www.sloan3d.com/store
Chmeee's 3D Objects .................... http://www.sloan3d.com/chmeee
3D and Drawing Galleries .................. http://www.sloansteady.com
Software ................ Science Fiction, Science, and Computer Links
Science fiction scans ......................... http://www.sloan3d.com