JDG wrote:

Let me be clear that I was outraged by the Super Bowl Halftime Show long
before Janet Jackson ever appeared - everything from Kid Rock blatantly
violating the US Flag Code to a dance performance that was extremely
raunchy. In fact, I was so disgusted that I was in the restroom when the famous "wardrobe malfunction" occurred.

I wasn't outraged but I thought the whole thing was in poor taste.
I think that it is important, however, to also note that everyone who watched ABC's promo was receiving a message from ABC (and a very popular NFL player in uniform)

A player people love to hate - big difference.

that was directly glorifying casual, extramarital sex. There is a
difference between having women dressed sexily indirectly selling a product on one hand, and having a woman drop her clothes and jump another man in a direct suggestion of sex.

There is a difference, but it is small. And the fact that they weren't hyping an addictive intoxicant in a way that appeals to young (as in too young to drink) people makes it _less_ offensive to me. The only thing that bothers me about the spot is the extramarital part which I hadn't considered.

I think that there are a lot of people who
don't want that message broadcast into their homes as part of Monday Night Football., and I don't think that there is anything particular wrong,
hypocritcial, or un-American about not wanting that message broadcast into their homes as part of Monday Night Football.

Well, I do. If you think that the beer commercials and the impotence spots are just OK for your kids to watch, then its a mighty small step to be bitching about this thing.

I wonder if we would even be having this discussion if it had been Payton Manning instead of T.O.?

Is there any doubt?

Very much so. How many of the beer commercials depict an interracial relationship? For that matter precious few commercials of _any_ stripe even show blacks and whites together. I'd say that many, even most of the complaints ABC got had an (unspoken) racial component and that if the player had been white the controversy would be weak or non existent.

Let me make the point that the beer commercials _do_ bother me. Not because of the sexual content but because of the way they push beer to young adults. I think this is much more scandalous than the ABC spot and that it's overlooked because of the massive amount of money involved.

--
Doug