> "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said

>>   Animals suitable to be domesticated must, in
>> general, have a  native hierarchy ...

> That is extemely interesting.  For whatever reason,
> I never thought of it.

Well, it's not exactly my original thinking;  'be the
leader' is the big theme in current horsemanship
training, and has been important in dog training for a
while.  I'm fairly sure I read it during the past ten
years, in books on animal behavior; IIRC, it was
articulated at least partially in _Guns, Germs And
Steel_ also.

>>   In one sentence: domesticated animals were bred
from
>>   those with a strong social hierarchy or family
>>   structure which humans could usurp, with an
emphasis
>>   on juvenile (and therefore dependent) as well as
>>   territorial behaviors, in breeding programs, in
>>   addition to the desired characteristics of
milk/meat
>>   production, strength, swiftness etc.

> That whole posting helps make sense of the
> pre-industrial,  agricultural world -- it is
terrific (and
> terrifying).

With attacks this week by a bear (Tenn., fatal
outcome) and a cougar (here, child survived), we are
reminded of why our far ancestors were so afraid of
and awed by Nature, and the creatures therein.  That
first alliance with social wolves must have had a
tremendous impact on hunter-gatherers: here were
allies who could see in the dark, smell from afar, and
race to attack, while puny humans had to cower near a
fire or risk being carried off by equally 'magic'
predators.  So too, the reverence for Cow by the
ancients: provider of milk, meat, and covering, and
able to pull far heavier loads (plow) than humans
alone; and to the needs of humans these large
creatures *submitted* (more or less quietly).

"Familiarity breeds contempt" -- in myth, the Hound is
a near-sacred partner of the Hunter, and the Bull
sacrifices his great strength to humanity's survival.
 Now, 'cur,' 'cow,' 'bitch,' and 'bullshit' are terms
of scorn; our foreparents would find our use of them
blasphemous.  I think one of the reasons some people
have gotten on a Native American kick (or DownUnder,
an aboriginal kick) is to recapture that sense of
wonder at the creatures that, at one time, meant Life
or Death.  I can see why a God or Goddess would appear
as Cow or Wolf or Ram...

Debbi
Equus Of The Shining Mane! Maru