On 07/05/2006, at 11:53 PM, Julia Thompson wrote:

I think "militant atheism" is a better description of the philosophy apparently espoused by The Fool.

Certainly is.

There is no text from which to be "fundamentalist" for atheism, as far as I know. "Militant" is a reasonably accurate adjective to denote the passion with which this philosophy appears to be held.

Precisely.

If anyone is going to be militant regarding religious attitude, I would prefer to engage in debate with a militant agnostic above all other militants, personally. ("I don't know and you don't either!" "You're right, I don't know. Let's go have some lemonade together, OK? Unless you're allergic to citrus or something.")

*chuckle*

Of course it's possible to be both agnostic and atheist - to accept that it's impossible to prove or disprove the existence of a deity, while believing that there isn't one.

Charlie