At 08:33 PM Sunday 7/23/2006, Nick Arnett wrote:
The last two days, my little indoor/outdoor thermometer has recorded a high
temp of 117 degrees.

At least that was [presumably] the temperature on the _outside_ side of the thermometer. We had some rain yesterday afternoon and overnight which kept the highest temperature I've noticed inside today to 84.5°F, which is a full 10° lower than it had been several days during the past couple of weeks. And even when it is not raining, we have plenty of humidity.

  While that's probably a bit higher than the actual
temperature outside, it's close enough to reassure me that I'm not crazy,
it's dang hot.  We were at 90 degrees by 9 a.m. and we're still at 101 now,
at 6:30 p.m.  Toasty.  And unusual for this area, we have some humidity,
too, so the heat index is just nutty.

Once again, I'm grateful that we're in Santa Clara, which has some of the
most reliable electical power around here.

Yes, being able to run a fan does help somewhat.

P.S.  They say that global warming would make this area cooler and wetter.

"They" say a lot of things . . .

-- Ronn in Birmingham, AL :)