On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 00:51:06 -0000, jdiebremse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As for the connection of Katrina to global warming, I think that
advocates of doing something about global warming do themselves no
favors by making such arguments.   After all, these arguments connecting
specific weather incidents to climate change are very vulnerable to
being counterpointed by the next unseasonable cold snap or snowstorm.
For example, we're having a very quiet hurricane season so far this year
- if this trend holds up, will that be any sort of argument that global
warming is under control?   And if not, then the same must be said for
Katrina....

The effect warming has is on the intensity of the storms, not their frequency. While it can be argued that the recent pattern of intense storms is not a result of warming; that it is part of a natural cycle, the facts are that 1) warming increases ocean temperatures and 2) hurricanes are fueled by warm water. It really isn't much of a stretch to assume that warming _will_ cause higher intensity storms.

--
Doug