I'm not sure why you made the last statement.  I'm sure you have at least
passing familiarity with the previous 10+ years since the end of the first
Gulf War.  A number of different alternatives were tried during that time.
The first alternative, of Bush I, was to rely on the implosion of Hussein's
army in the face of the Americans to provide a spark for an internal
revolution.  The idea was that after that army surrendered en mass, its
capacity would be reduced, along with Hussein's status.  The US encouraged
the Shiites to revolt, and they were brutally put down by the Republican
Guard. After that, the US and Britain enforced no-fly zones in the north and
south to limit the carnage.  That proved very successful in the north, where
the Kurds were able to hold their own.

The peace treaty allowed for inspections and sanctions.  They had some
success during the '90s.  But, in late '97 and '98, Hussein stopped/limited
inspections at gun point, declaring vast areas "presidential palaces" and
off limits to any inspections.  At that point, the US decided to bomb the
suspected sites and the inspectors withdrew.

During the late '90s and early '00, the sanctions leaked more and more.  The
oil for food program of the UN was rife with corruption.  France and Russia,
which had lucrative contracts with Hussein, were pushing to end sanctions
entirely.  It's amazing to me that the French Ambassador to the UN admitted
that Hussein paid him >$100,000 for "consulting" work before/during the time
he was arguing to end sanctions.  At the same time, the people of Iraq were
suffering because the money wasn't going to them.

>You either had to buy Bush's vision or be declared a supporter
> of Saddam's regime of torture. Frankly, I find that nonsensical and do
> not buy the argument.

But, that's not what I said.  Remember _I_ was opposed to Gulf War II.
Honestly, I'm not so far gone that I would stoop to an ad honimen attacks on
myself. :-)

But, at the time and now I agreed that, by supporting containment, I would
accept the moral consequences of allowing Hussein to remain in power because
I honestly felt it was the lesser evil.  There's a difference between that
and supporting Hussein.

> Let's say I read a newspaper report about a man taking his one month old
> baby for a walk by the river. He sees a small kid drowning. He jumps in
> with the baby, can't save the boy, and all three die. I read the story
> and remark, 'Oh, that's stupid.' Now that does not automatically make me
> a supporter of drowning, or of the notion that small kids should drown.
> All it means is that I think the dad should have lay the baby down
> somewhere before jumping in to effect a rescue, that it is stupid to
> jump in with at least one arm already occupied.

I understand that.  I see that this argument has an obvious easy out....lay
the baby down first, stupid.  But, there isn't always an easy out.  A more
realistic true life story would be stopping a parent from going back into a
burning building to find their child....knowing that this may eliminate the
only chance the child has to live....but also knowing that the odds were
strong that all that would happen is that both would die.

Someone who did that would have to accept the consequences of their
actions....they eliminated the chance of that child living.  But, someone
who didn't stop the parent would also have to accept the consequences of
their inaction...if the parent never came out alive.  I think part of being
human is the fact that we must make moral choices based on incomplete
information.  We don't know with certainty the outcomes of our
decisions...but we must make decisions in real time anyways.  One thing that
I heard from Gautam that made sense is that a critical part of this is
accepting the consequences of one's own preferred path, as well as the
consequences of the path one opposes.

I think that the world

> Similarly, I find the notion of bombing a people into democracy and
> gratitude stupid.

I will take this as a metaphorical expression of the more prosaic statement
that "one cannot use outside military force to institute a representative
government on a country ruled by a dictator."  A more generalized statement
of this would be "one can not expect to succeed in using outside force to
effect a regime change that gives a people a substantially improved
government (as measured in terms of human rights, freedom, representation,
etc.)

Well, we do have historical examples to consider with this.  The last time
the US was involved with this was in the Balkans.  The UN was involved in
ineffective peace keeping (including setting up safe cities and then
standing aside to permit genocide within those safe cities) for ~8 years.
Finally, Clinton pushed a plan on NATO, instituted a massive bombing
campaign, and stated that the next step would be American boots on the
ground.  The genocide stopped, and representative governments were
instituted in that area.

Now, since the conflict resulted from the break-up of a country (as Iraq
probably will do), the conflict was more like a civil war than a nation on
nation conflict (like India-Pakistan).  The US almost literally bombed the
Balkans into a more representative government.

I'll agree that this wasn't regime change, but the previous example I was
thinking of is.  On a pretext of the rape of an American woman by Panamanian
security forces, the US invaded Panama and overthrew Noreaga.  We set up a
representative government, with free elections.  That government, while not
perfect, is still a representative democracy.  Surveys a year after the
invasion showed that most of the Panamanians considered the US invasion to
be generally a good thing.

Earlier than that, there was a small example of success.  Reagan overthrew a
Marxist government in Grenada. The government after that was far more
representative.

With respect to genocide, the most recent examples of massive genocide were
also stopped by force.  In Rwanda, Tutsi forces finally stopped the
genocide.  IIRC, they had support from surrounding countries to do so...at
the very least free havens from which to mount their campaigns.  The Pot Pol
genocide was stopped by regime change instituted by Viet Nam. The government
they instituted was far superior to the Pot Pal, even though it wasn't
democratic.

Now, I'm not arguing that this sort of intervention always works.  I didn't
cite examples of the failure of such intervention, but readily acknowledge
that they exist.  The reason I can accept this is that I see the premise I'm
arguing against being

"such military interventions don't work...and it's foolish to think they
can"

The premise that I'm arguing for is "such interventions work, but only some
of the time."  Sometimes the interventions do work, sometimes they don't.
With the exception of Rwanda, none of the cases I cited involved regimes
that staged massive attacks on the outside forces.

I believe that the Sudan

> > So, I'd argue that those who argue for invading Iraq must accept the
> > consequences of that action being taken in the exact same sense that
> > those of us who opposed going in needed to accept the consequences of
> > the continued rule of Hussein.
>
> Argue all you want, I'm not buying it. :)

Is it because you think that there is no moral responsibility

> Now if there had been a serious attempt to find a different, less
> destructive way to get rid of Saddam before the invasion and the tarring
> of every opposer as a supporter of Saddam you might have had a point.
> But there wasn't, and therefore you don't.

There was for ~12 years.  How many more years would you think have been
needed before other options were tried enough?  If the previous 12 years if
attempts don't count in your book, then I'd very much appreciate knowing
why.

> > Neither side needed to want the bad consequences of their
> > chosen path...they just needed to accept the responsibility
> > inherent in choosing those consequences instead of others.
>
> Yes, and what we are seeing here is an attempt to avoid responsibility
> for the choice made by saying 'your choice was bad too!'

No, because I am saying "_our_ choice was bad too."

>The fact is that no other choice was explored or offered.

With all due respect, Ritu, that's a false statement.

> > In doing so, "the other alternatives were all worse" would be
> > a valid argument.
>
> Yes, but to say that other alternatives would have had to be explored.

Every other alternative, including those I supported, that I saw in the
pre-war period were modest variations on what has been tried already.  I
would argue that it is more reasonable to think that modest changes in
technique would most likely result in modest changes in outcome.  If
sanctions and inspections resulted in a given outcome for the last 12 years,
it is far more likely that continued sanctions and inspections would result
in a similar future outcome instead of a radically different outcome. The
fact is that, to first order, every alternative to war that had been
proposed had already been tried.  There were, indeed, second order
differences in the proposals, minor tweaks if you were.  But, _even though I
supported going with the minor tweaks myself_, I could not reasonably argue
that these would result in the end of Hussein's regime.  From my
perspective, all I could reasonably hope for was containment.

If you have an archive of what I wrote here before the war, that's almost
exactly what I said then.

Dan M.
Dan M.