Austin is an interesting place.  There's more night life there in one
weekday night than there is in a month of weekends in San Jose.  I took
did go to Waterloo Records which has a very good selection, and Book
People which I did not spend enough time in because I thought I was going
to miss the bats.  As it turns out I could have taken my time.  The bats
didn't show up until well after dark and they came out in dribs and drabs.

I then went to a bar called Maggie May's and listened to a solo guitarist
for about an hour before heading back to the hotel via a rather seedy part
of town (accidentally) It was eleven when I got back and I was soaked in
sweat after walking up the hill in 85° heat (and humidity that was
probably still over 90%)  You really prefer this over N.H. Julia? 8^)

On Thursday I quit the conference fairly early and dropped by the Capitol
building which was only a few blocks from my hotel.

Hmmm.  This is the second old South capitol I've visited (Birmingham)and
find the degree that the Confederacy is celebrated in both of them
fascinating and frankly, rather disturbing.  The most prominent and
conspicuous monument on the grounds was an unapologetic tribute to the
secession and of four other prominent statues on the grounds that I saw,
two of them memorialized Confederate heroes (Hood and Ready's Rangers I
think).  There was also an Alamo memorial and one in tribute to volunteer
firemen.  No Austin statue.  No mention of Sam Houston, Texas independence
or the Mexican-American War.  No mention of any twentieth century wars (or
anything else for that matter) at all.

Another interesting tidbit.  I looked at the portraits of all the Texas
leaders that adorns the walls of the capitol rotunda.  This includes
presidents of the independent Texas as well as all of its governors.  Now
maybe I missed him and I'm way off base here, but I could swear that Sam
Houston's portrait wasn't there as either President or governor.
Why is that significant?

Sam Houston opposed the secession.

Amazing stuff for a history buff.

Doug