On Dec 3, 2007 11:02 AM, William T Goodall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > This demonstrates that skepticism leads to better science, right?
>

> You're arguing that evolution is bad science?

No.

I'm pointing out that there's a correlation between skepticism about science
and good science.  The country that includes a lot of skeptics about science
is the same country that excels in science.  Therefore, one may leap to the
conclusion that skepticism about science causes good science.  Or one can
think more rationally and realize that there are other factors, such as
freedom or wealth, that cause both science and skepticism to thrive.

My point is that co-occurrence and correlation should never be mistake for
causality.

> > You have to show causality -- that religion *causes* evil, no just
> > that they
> > co-occur.
>
> You sound like the tobacco lobby claiming that cigarettes don't cause
> cancer!

And if I sound like them, surely I must be just as venal.  I'm not sure if
that's better described as a red herring or just a stupid argument by
analogy, but in either case, it is illogical.  Don't you think it's a bit
hypocritical to abandon logic when arguing that religion causes people to
believe unscientific ideas?

When people are encouraged to believe any old nonsense they choose as
> a matter of 'faith' it is not surprising that they lose the ability to
> discriminate in other areas too.

It'll be just fine with me if you never trot out that particular straw man
again.

You've set an impossibly high burden of proof by claiming that religion
causes evil.  You'll never prove it.  That doesn't mean you're wrong, but it
means you're acting on faith in your intuitions and experience, not reason.
Meanwhile, it's BORING to hear the same thing over and over.  Do you really
imagine that one day, anybody will be enlightened by your repetition?

In hopes of going somewhere more interesting with this topic, let me offer
this challenge -- can you (or anybody else who can stomach the subject) come
up with external causalities when religion and evil co-occur?  If we're
going to argue about whether or not faith is anti-scientific, how about if
we do so in a reasonably logical manner?  It only seems fitting.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]