> Warren Ockrassa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 2007, at 6:51 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

<snip>
> > There are iatrogenic illnesses, those that are
> > caused by
> > the healer.  I have no doubt that there are
> > parallels in religion, but just
> > as we don't shut down hospitals because, for
> example, people pick up
> > infections there, it is not a compelling argument
> for shutting down
> > churches.  Nobody is arguing that zero harm is
> done by religion.

> To me, there's a difference between hospitals and
> churches, though;
> hospitals are places where the rules and results of
> science-based
> research are applied. By and large it seems to me
> that churches aren't of that nature.

<grimace>  Well, we strive and hope for sound science
in our medicine; unfortunately we have, IMO, a runaway
for-profit frenzy.  I am astounded at the continual
bombardment of advertising to convince Americans that
they need these pills, those injectables, that
session-under-the-knife to be healthy, happy and
*normal.*  What a freak show.  Then, of course, there
are the "take these natural compounds only" hucksters
-I mean, gurus- also eager to extract dollars from
ignorant folks' pockets.

I see a strong parallel between the desire for a
simple set of rules to win the divine jackpot, and the
desire to gain "eternal youth" by pills & procedures.
In neither case does one have to think or question or
work for one's reward.  Genuine spiritual growth and
improved health require time, effort and
dedication...with no guarantee of "success" in the
conventional sense.

Debbi
Embrace The Journey (Like There's A Choice!) Maru