Nick said:

> I'm pointing out that there's a correlation between skepticism about
> science
> and good science.  The country that includes a lot of skeptics about
> science
> is the same country that excels in science.  Therefore, one may leap
> to the
> conclusion that skepticism about science causes good science.

It's not scepticism though. The people in the US who don't believe in
evolution by natural selection by and large aren't saying "we don't
think evolution by natural selection is an adequate explanation for
the extant biological diversity so for the moment we won't believe in
it even though there are no plausible alternatives" but rather "we
don't believe in evolution by natural selection because these fairy
stories are so much more plausible despite the total lack of evidence
for them!" That's not scepticism, it's misplaced credulity.

Rich