On 05/12/2007, at 8:19 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2007 12:32 PM, Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> I don't agree that religion is evil. It just opens a large door to
>> evil by fostering unquestioning obedience.
>

> I think this confuses a belief of certain religions with the general
> meaning
> of religion.  Religions are belief systems having to do with
> spiritual or
> metaphysical matters.

Yes. Which you have to believe in order to be a part of that religion.
If you question the basic tenets of the faith, you are not adhering to
that faith and won't be part of it for long, unless as many people do,
you hide your doubts and pay lip-service.

> Unquestioning obedience is nothing more than a belief of the more
> cult-like
> religions.

There aren't many that aren't cult-like in at least some of their
aspects. It took me a long time to extract myself far enough from the
religious upbringing of my youth to see that.

>  It certainly is not true of the major ones except in a very
> limited sense that by no means extends to scientific pursuits.  It
> is only a
> minority -- a foolish, arrogant and disturbingly politically active
> minority
> -- that seeks such directions.

I think it's a lot more prevalent than you think.

> In other words, I'm not denying that there are anti-science forces
> at work
> in some religions.  But I fail to see any convincing argument that
> this has
> anything to do with religion in general.  There is no human
> institution that
> is exempt from such corruption.

Your last sentence I agree with. However, where we differ is that I've
come to think that the special status accorded to religion in most
societies catalyses and shelters a lot of the corruption.

Charlie