On Dec 4, 2007 12:32 PM, Charlie Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't agree that religion is evil. It just opens a large door to
> evil by fostering unquestioning obedience.

I think this confuses a belief of certain religions with the general meaning
of religion.  Religions are belief systems having to do with spiritual or
metaphysical matters.

Unquestioning obedience is nothing more than a belief of the more cult-like
religions.  It certainly is not true of the major ones except in a very
limited sense that by no means extends to scientific pursuits.  It is only a
minority -- a foolish, arrogant and disturbingly politically active minority
-- that seeks such directions.

In other words, I'm not denying that there are anti-science forces at work
in some religions.  But I fail to see any convincing argument that this has
anything to do with religion in general.  There is no human institution that
is exempt from such corruption.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett