Dan M wrote:

> [...]
But in that case we don't present it as true, exactly. For example,
Newton's Laws of Motion are now presented as acceptable approximations.
Nothing wrong with that, it is easier to do the calculations that way
than to use General Relativity to calculate orbits, for instance.

And it is quite reasonable to think that at some future point General
Relativity will be viewed as a flawed but useful approximation to
whatever theory produces better results in whatever odd corner-case
comes up that Relativity cannot handle. But when that happens, it will
be because the two theories made predictions in that odd corner case,
and one of them matched experimental results/observations, and the other
did not.
>> That is absolutely fundamental, and I have never seen
>> anything like that come from a creationist. They cannot distinguish
>> between a theory and an hypothesis (what they call a theory is in fact
>> an hypothesis), so I doubt they will ever get there.
>>

> In a sense I have, in the sense that I've seen theories that are falsified
> scientific theories.  Scientific theories are models of observation.  A few
> work, most don't.  In the process of teaching that, one could bring up
> astrology, creationism, etc. as well as physics and biology and ask which
> ones are valid scientific theories.  That was my point....it's good to have
> both valid and invalid scientific theories considered when teaching a course
> on science, because having both allows the student to see what the criterion
> is for a valid scientific theory.  "Which of these things is not like the
> others?" works. :-)

In a class that is about how science develops, that could well make
sense. I taught a class some years ago on History of Science, and that
is something I tried to bring into it. But I would (and did) insist that
we look at this process in terms of how science makes these judgments,
and that is by making falsifiable hypotheses and testable predictions,
and then doing the test. If we don't do that, I don't think we are doing
science.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Linux User #333216

"There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded twice
from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem." --
George Bernard Shaw