On 2 Sep 2008 at 19:07, William T Goodall wrote:

> I think that our capacity for ethics comes from our social animal
> nature but that telling good from bad comes from thinking about ethics
> using our intelligence.

Per Dawkins, animal group behavior works out essentially selfish in
the genetic sense. This isn't of course a bar to forming ethics, but
it does create issues extending them outside your "tribal grouping" -
most animals don't form the larger sort of associations Humans do.

> And if it's like mathematics it raises the question would aliens
> develop the same ethics as us?

At least part of our ethics comes from our perceptive organs and our
social and biological interaction mechanics. I think it's fair to
assume that aliens would differ in these at least slightly and the
ethical systems may vary.

> Fortunately people don't spend much time arguing about which language
> is 'best' ;-)

They don't? Heh.

AndrewC