First, thanks for grabbing the website and pointing it out to the list.  It
looks like good primary data: the kind I like.

But, you talk as though A2 represents risky companies.  Let me present
several rating system sites:

First at

http://www.blaha.net/Finance%20Corporate%20Debt%20Ratings.php

We see that the comparison is between AA and A bonds (a footnote points out
that AA and A can be broken into subsets: AA1, AA2, AA3, A1, A2, A3, etc.
So, A2 is the middle of the A range.  We also see the default rate within 5
years for A bonds is less than 0.025% over a 5 year period between '70 and
'01.  The actual default rate is less than AA bonds (one big mistake can do
that).

Then at

http://www.riskglossary.com/link/commercial_paper.htm

we have the less quantified Superior vs. Satisfactory.  This is less
quantitative than the first site, but it does point out A2 and P2 are the
same.  Risky bonds are two categories below P2.

For additional sites, we have:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/03/102203.asp

which calls A as low risk

Finally, let's go back to your curves.  The second one is the one I wanted
to focus on because it plots the spread in curves: which is a good measure
of the aversion to risk.  For the most part, the discount rate spread has
been, since 2001, in the 20-40 basis point range.  That is not the type of
spread one associates with high risk.  All of a sudden, it peaks to 400
basis points for non-financial paper.

The last recession/big stock market drop, which added to the feel of
insecurity, peaked at about 90 basis points.  The previous peak in this
crisis was about 140.  The latest peak is 400 and rising.

This is for a market that fully expected a bail-out.  Even so, companies
that have no exposure to the financial risk of banks are finding their short
term financing rising by more than a factor of 4. That measures a flight to
the highest quality.

For example, do you really think the odds of GE defaulting on 1 day paper is
significantly higher than it was 2 weeks ago?

Dan M.