They are.  In my haste in writing I was less precise than I wanted to be.  I
was thinking about the major developed countries (e.g. Western Europe, the
UK and Japan).  I know Canada is almost a suburb of the US, with most of the
population living within 100 miles of the US (and most living south of
Duluth MN, where I grew up).

I thought that much of Australia is not suitable for high density
populations, but I'll stand to be corrected.  And of course, Nordic
countries have low population densities in the far north and in the
mountains.

The point I was trying to make is that the US is far less populated than
where most of the rest of the developed world lives.  For example, the 4th
largest metropolitan area in the US (the Houston Metro Area) has the same
population density as the whole of the UK (including the rugged NW of
Scotland).  Vast swaths of the US have both good farm land and relatively
low population densities (e.g. Iowa at ~50/sq. mi.)  So, there is a lot of
room for the US to increase its population before it approaches Europe.

Finally, I have a question for those from Oz.  My understanding is that most
of the population of Oz lives on the southern coast because the vast center
of Australia is not a great place to put a lot of people.  Is that accurate?

Dan M.