Charlie said:

Yeah, that's what I was alluding to with Mediterranean traders. Guaranteed by Hamurabi (sp?) himself, IIRC.

Oh, okay. And yes, it's mentioned in Hammurabi's "law code" (which was probably a set of examples of what the king would do or had done in different circumstances rather than an actual code of laws). But if I recall correctly, the Babylonians of that period didn't themselves trade much or at all in the Mediterranean basin, but by land into Anatolia and Egypt, across the Zagros mountains into what is now Iran and Afghanistan, and by sea through the Persian Gulf with the coast of Arabia and the Indus civilisation.

(There was trade on the Mediterranean involving the Minoans, the Egyptians and others though, and it's very possible I may not recall correctly.)

Rich