On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 2:49 AM, John Williams <jwilliams4...@gmail.com>wrote:

> And I resent the government forcing me to spend much of my surplus
> income on people like the 87-year-old so that I have much less to help
> people like the child born in Niger.

I believe history has clearly show the foolhardiness of trusting the wealthy
and powerful to care for the poorest.  It is the exception, not the rule,
for such altruism.

More to the point, it is a giant step backwards to reject the mechanisms of
democratic self-regulation that brought the world out of feudal systems with
noblesse oblige and so forth.

I would have a hard time endorsing the self-regulation of markets and
simultaneously rejecting the self-regulation of democracy.  I would be
embracing freedom only when it happens to be in my self-interest.

Nick