Alberto Monteiro wrote:

> Nick Arnett wrote:
>
>> Seriously, though, the wiki gives everybody lotsa power...
>> I'm not familiar enough with Media Wiki to see (a) what
>> administrators might do via the web interface and
>> (b) exactly how to create 'em.  It's a php associative
>> array, the docs tell me.
>>
>> I'm happy to keep the discussion here for now, to get it going.
>>
>> Any other experience wiki-ers here?
>>

> The whole point of evil wiki admins is to punish and coerce.
> Unfortunately, it's a necessary job.
>
> But I suggest to keep it simple.
>
> There are _many_ wikis in the Web, another SF (Fantasy too?)
> wiki would die of starvation

I am just not finding a big sci-fi wiki out there already fulfilling my
vision.  There are big *literature* wiki's out there, so one option
might be to have sci-fi be a little fish in a much larger pond.  I am
really interested in a Brin-->sci-fi-->imaginaria evolution.

> I think a Brin wiki would be the best - but probably you should
> ask Him about what stuff could go there. And the evil wiki admins
> would have to keep a keen eye on copyright violations - wiki users
> have a nasty tendency to copy-and-paste without regard for the
> legitimacy of the material.
>
> Also, it should be acurately determined how deep we could go.
>
> For example, should we have a detailed description of every event
> and character? It could spur interest in buying books, but it could
> also feed unscrupulous Hollywood scriptwriters to steal and distort
> Brin's ideas into new awful movies.

The trivia is there in the sources.  The itch that got this discussion
going was the Wikipedia content NAZI's wanting to get rid of our most
excellent uplift universe trivia.  Trivia down to the most trivial level
is in.  What good is Uplift, or Star Trek, or Zina, or Buffy without trivia!

> How much fanfic should be admitted? Logical inferences based
> on the books are ok? Natural extrapolations are ok? Or should we
> stick to canonical (and deutero-canonical, like Kevin Costner's
> movie) material?
>
> Alberto Monteiro

NO fanfic (unless we do the Brin-and-only-Brin option). Fanfic is as bad
as outright copying material.  It opens a whole can of bad IP juju.  (If
we do fan fiction all of it goes in.  You want to encourage creativity.
A wiki may not be the best way to produce fan fiction, like if an editor
hates your dark, depressing ending or interpretation...)

Seriously, I have done the Uplift fan fiction thing. I did it a lot.  I
had fun with it.  Now I am burned out.  I'm just not too interested in
that project.