> Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2026 18:28:57 +0200 > From: Patrice Dumas <[email protected]> > Cc: [email protected], [email protected] > > > > (On POSIX, we try "en_US.UTF-8", "en_US" and 'locale -a' command > > > output). > > > > You can use "English_United_States" or its short alias "ENU" where > > you use en_US on Posix systems. But how will that let you test > > translation, when the original is already in US English? > > See above, to switch first from C locale to another locale. Afterwards, > LANGUAGE is used to set the name to the documentlanguage, and > the POSIX like language names (from @documentlanguage in the Texinfo > code) can be used to find the translations for the output document string > from a place where those specific translations (for the texinfo_document > domain). I actually hope that there is no automatic mapping in gettext > to "French_France" or similar, as the file won't be found, but I do not > think so, as it would be an issue for all the POSIX programs ported > to Windows error messages, not only Texinfo output document strings.
AFAIR, Gnulib already knows how to convert Posix locale names to Windows, so if you use Gnulib code, you should be okay. > We also have a regular use of locales for error messages, with the > texinfo domain, but this is a different, simpler issue. > > > I think you can also use "French_France", at least for translation to > > French. If that locale is not available (I think this should be very > > rare, if it at all happens, but Bruno will correct me if I'm wrong), > > then translation to French should be skipped anyway. > > We could also try that. I'll try "English_United_States" and "French_France" > and we can wait for reports. If you enable the disabled code and use Gnulib's replacement for setlocale, you should be okay with the Posix names of the locale.
