On 4/26/17, 4:04 AM, "Roger Leigh" <rle...@codelibre.net> wrote:

> Agreed that just moving up to C++98 standard types in and of itself
> would be greatly beneficial.  There should be no portability barrier to
> achieving that.

No, definitely not. I've been using the STL and Boost for years now on many
platforms.

> Regarding portability, I also have the "pleasure" of supporting code on
> CentOS 6.  I don't know if you've tried it, but we switched to using the
> SCL "devtoolset-3" (now "devtoolset-4") packages which backport a modern
> GCC and the rest of the toolchain to CentOS6 (and 7).

Do the packages built from that work on an unmodified CentOS 6 system? Meaning
does it pull in any dependencies for that from the standard repos?

The change that's really relevant for me is that Red Hat 5 dropped out of
standard support in March, so that was a major switch.

Unfortunately I also have many older SUSE versions to support also.

-- Scott