I don't have particular recommendations for wireless mics, but I'll
offer a general subjective impression:  It seems to me that, on
average, I've noticed more problems with caller intelligibility
with wireless mics than with wired mics, and more with headset
wireless mics than with handheld ones.

I don't know just why this is.  It could have to do with reception
and interference.  It could have to do with purchasers scrimping
on quality.  In the case of headsets, it could have to do with
positioning of the pick-up (proximity effect, etc.).  It could be
selective/biased noticing on my part.  (E.g., if the caller's words
are hard to make out, I might have a tendency to blame the wireless
mic if one is in use, while with a wired mic, I might blame the
equalization or the caller's enunciation.)  One thing, I've
noticed for sure is that as the batteries in the transmitter run
low, many wireless mics will start sounding fuzzy well before they
completely stop working.

There certainly are good wireless mics around.

I didn't call at NEFFA this year and didn't notice what kind of
mics they were using, but I know that at least in some years
they've used handheld wireless callers' mics for the callers in
the large dance halls and gotten good results with many different
callers and teachers using the same mic over the course of the
weekend.

I know there are some list members who are involved with running
the NEFFA festival.  Do any of you know what kind of wireless mics
the sound contractors supply?

In this video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vbMRVq6RXk

you can see and hear a rather inconspicuous headset mic that seems
to be giving excellent results.  I don't know what kind it is,
whether it's standard or custom, how much it costs (if it's even
generally available), or how much the quality of results depends
precise positioning of the mouthpiece or on racks of gear (with
skilled operators) at the receiver end.

--Jim