Who's been calling my dances?  I want to sue...

Um, just kidding, though the discussion is interesting. And, what happens when a dance gets written by more than one person?

I wrote a dance I called Second Third Friday, taking the idea of the dance Third Friday by Bill Cochran. My dance goes:

A1 Neighbor Balance & Swing
A2 Men Allemande Left 1-1/2, Partner Swing (end facing across)
B1 Right & Left Through across; Women Chain to Neighbor
B2 Right Hand to Partner, Balance, (in minor set) Square Through 2, Repeat, going on to Next Neighbor

And, I published it in my first book, /Contra Comments, /only to find out later that Tony Parkes had written the same dance -- for the same reason -- with the variant of a B1 Half Promenade; Women Chain. He called his Friday Night Fever, also honoring the original Bill Cochran dance. And his dance was composed prior to mine. Later I found the same dance with the Right & Left Through, in another book by a Lucille (don't recall her last name and can't find the book right now) and she called it Balance Out #3. I know Tony and I did the same thing, because he acknowledged the Third Friday dance in his publication.

So, it gets confusing: when does varying another dance step out of plagiarism into an honest to goodness new dance? And, when two people come up independently with the same sequence, do we worry that Author #1 might sue while Author #2 is free and easy?

I have no problem with people going through my books or my cards, or asking for dances. If they want to support me they can purchase the books I've put together for the purpose of having something to sell at dances.

Still, I do honor the code of not putting in this forum dances others have composed unless there's a specific reason for discussing it: the segue from one figure to the next, or explanation of how a figure works.

Then again, when somebody writes a list of dances looking for authors, I'm likely to copy those into my files as dances for use. And, I think, this follows our generally accepted practice of sharing and caring.

~erik hoffman
    oakland, ca