Andrea,

The discussions make it clear that: (1) there is a need to use terminology other than "gypsy," at least in some venues, and (2) there is no generally-agreed substitute term.

A lot of callers see that as an impediment to clear and concise teaching/calling. I have certainly experienced confusion and annoyance as a dancer. I believe that the folk process will provide a solution, but I appreciate the efforts to accelerate what could otherwise take many years to resolve.

I appreciate the reports of what different callers are trying and their degree of success. At the same time, it makes a lot of sense to avoid rehashing the same arguments, as you suggest. Right now, we're in an empirical phase--trial and error--and rapid dissemination of results seems like the way to go. If that process suggests a few good candidates, it might be time to debate their merits.

Bob