Hi Lenny,

You are caught in the never-ending support to these people. $100.00 a
month falling from the sky is very helpful for any family, regardless
of its size. Many people are breaking their back for $50.00 (of some
60 hours/week hard-laboring work) in a factory.

While I appreciate your good intention, I think you do more harm than
help by not teaching these people the values of hard work. I doubt
that you can get this $100.00 from a Canadian tree; you work for it,
don’t you?

Cambodian society now is a society dominated by “beggars” where many
people expect special handouts from people like you and others who are
heartbroken from seeing their poverty and injustices in Cambodia.
They love you to death when you feed them freely, but at the moment
that you stop helping them or putting any conditions on them, it’s
almost certain that you will become their foe overnight. If this will
happen, please don’t be disappointed. Just think that it was an
unconditional love that you have for them. Such thought may set you
free, but that is what they are banking on. 100 years from now, these
people will still begging for free contributions.

There are so many tricks and lies (I have no ideas where they learned
them from) to break your heart. Some use sickness, diseases and
family’s problems to beg; some use social or political injustices to
request your assistance; others just create their personal lies. It
happens throughout the country and in all institutions. It is a cancer
in Cambodian modern society. Government is looking for handouts;
politicians are also looking for handouts and NGOs, too, are looking
for handouts; and much of contributions have been abused. When is it
going to end?

One Cambodian lives near me here in New York was notified by his
siblings in Cambodia that his mother had died two times on different
dates. Before knowing that he was being deceived, the man had depleted
his savings and cash from his credit card.

Yes, Cambodians need help, but they must work… and prove that they “do
work.” The value of your free assistance is worth as much as free
thing; it equal to nothing in the long run.

Move on, you have done enough.