At 08:25 AM 9/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Allen Zinn wrote :

John,

Formica(TM) and other similar products is compressed paper with melamine
plastic. It is useful for some camera parts where a slight warp isn't a
problem A 24 in sq. darkslide would be very risky. I laminated wood veneer
to formica and found that their expansion was too different and the veneer
cracked. I believe conventional darkslides use a cloth/bakelite material.
I've seen it in the Small Parts cat. but no thinner than 1/8 in. It ain't
cheap. There was a posting a couple years ago on this list about anodizing
aluminum. I wonder if that is a relatively cheap way to go? Black anodized
aluminum would be very nice.