Anodized aluminum would be nice.  But I'd have some comments:

1) The thinnest "generally available" aluminum is 1/16 (0.0625"). 1/32
(0.03125") can be had, but is not so easy to find.  I haven't measured my dark
slides (I'll try to remember to do it tonight), but I'd bet they're not more
than 0.020.

2) You really will need something like a brake or a horizontal shear to get
the thin sheet metal cut with real accuracy and smoothness.  You'll need to do
that, as machining a thin sheet-metal edge is not so easy.

3) Home-brew anodizing can indeed be done, but it is neither (a) the easiest,
nor (b) the safest procedure you've ever undertaken in your life.

There are recently some products available (name escapes me) which allow "cold
anodizing" of aluminum.  Essentially it's a chemical stripper followed by a
coating that penetrates a couple of thou into the metal.  It is non toxic,
and, I've heard, quite durable.

Don Feinberg