At 02:13 PM 9/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Anodized aluminum would be nice.  But I'd have some comments:
>
>1) The thinnest "generally available" aluminum is 1/16 (0.0625"). 1/32
>(0.03125") can be had, but is not so easy to find.  I haven't measured my dark
>slides (I'll try to remember to do it tonight), but I'd bet they're not more
>than 0.020.
>
>2) You really will need something like a brake or a horizontal shear to get
>the thin sheet metal cut with real accuracy and smoothness.  You'll need to do
>that, as machining a thin sheet-metal edge is not so easy.
>
>3) Home-brew anodizing can indeed be done, but it is neither (a) the easiest,
>nor (b) the safest procedure you've ever undertaken in your life.
>
>There are recently some products available (name escapes me) which allow "cold
>anodizing" of aluminum.  Essentially it's a chemical stripper followed by a
>coating that penetrates a couple of thou into the metal.  It is non toxic,
>and, I've heard, quite durable.
>
>Don Feinberg
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Don,

I'd like to know more about the cold anodizer if you can remember where you
saw it or the actual name so I can google it.  What about bumming some
sheets of alum. offset plates from a printer? They might be on the thin side
but could be replaced when they get bent. I wouldn't paint them but maybe
laminate them with black Contac paper.

AZ
Maker of Lookaround panoramic camera.
http://www.panoramacamera.us