Am Samstag, den 10.12.2011, 22:12 +0100 schrieb ri...@happyleptic.org:
> What I'd really like is a way to mix any version I want of the packages I
> install, especially experimental versions for the packages I want to test or
> contribute to.
> I stopped using GODI some time ago because I wanted master of ocaml and
> batteries but stable versions of everything else.  So I ended up rolling my
> own makefile-based installation/upgrade tool which is both annoying and
> archaic.
>
> Is this in the planned feature list?

Well, for ocaml you can build any svn version in GODI instead of the
released one. This is implemented as a hack in the package makefile.
This method sometimes raises problems, though: certain svn versions are
broken in some respect, or the very few patches cannot be applied. For
example, 3.13 does currently not work because of this.

On the list for GODI there is feature that would greatly help here:
improved support for multiple repositories. That way, there could be a
bleeding edge repo for select packages, which always installs the latest
(and most broken) version. The user could pick these packages one by
one. (This feature is already mostly implemented.)

Another helpful utility could be a fake package generator, which creates
an empty package just for fulfilling dependencies. (Basically you could
already do this with "godi_console ptool", and the only thing needed is
a wrapper calling it in the right way.)

Gerd