On 12/10/2011 03:32 PM, Andrei Formiga wrote:
The question is: what should be done? What must be done to enable
OASIS-DB?

Sylvain has worked with me to enable auto-installation of oasis-db packages via odb[2]. There's not a large repo of packages[1], but most of it is auto-installable (run odb to get a list), as long as you have ocaml and findlib to start from. The dependencies are automatically handled and installed from source. I even have confirmation that it works under windows, although it definitely needs cygwin there.

The repo could use some love with people uploading[3] new packages to it. Just provide a tarball and optionally a link to the tarball on some other website. Oasis dependencies are detected automatically, packages w/o an _oasis file need to have deps specified manually. Odb is able to install findlib-enabled projects that use ([./configure &&] make && make install), (omake && omake install) and oasis' setup.ml for building. This last option is able to execute whatever sequence of configure, make and install commands are needed for your project, without replacing the current infrastructure.

Files uploaded to the repo are available with odb --unstable, they have to be manually approved to become part of the default --testing. I hope that in time, the --stable option can become default. Odb also installs by default to ~/.odb/lib. --sudo tells it to use sudo for global install, --have-perms tells it to install to the global repo without sudo. If anyone wants to auto-detect permissions on the ocamlfind global, we can get rid of --have-perms.

I'm on #ocaml most of the time, and will get back to you if I'm away. Tell me how things work or don't.

E.

[1] http://oasis.ocamlcore.org/dev/browse
[2] http://github.com/thelema/odb
[3] http://oasis.ocamlcore.org/dev/upload